Celebrating 40 years of Giving
In 1879 the Sisters of St. Joseph of Hamilton opened the House of Providence to care for the elderly and disadvantaged. Formerly known as “Coleman’s Castle”, Rev. J. McNulty purchased the castle for $10,000 paying $8,000 in cash. To raise the additional $2,000, the first fundraising event, “The House of Providence Annual Picnic” was held in August 1879. For 92 years (until 1971), the annual picnic was the highlight of the Dundas social season, attracting thousands. The House of Providence was replaced in 1970. This new and modern construction was renamed St. Joseph’s Villa.
On March 7, 1978 the newly incorporated St. Joseph’s Villa Foundation held their first meeting under the chairmanship of Mr. John B. Roy – their purpose to raise funds in support of resident care, research, capital needs and staff education. Founding members were: Sister Benedict Godfrey (Sister Katharine), Hugh M. Everett, Corinne Lane, Joyce Armour, Victor J. Cassano, Ralph J. Sazio, Peter Richardson, Peggy Whyte, Dr. Hugo Ewart, John Shea, Sister Ann Marshall and Sister Mary Ambrose.